Thursday, May 03, 2007

Out Of Body Excursions- Coming To A Theatre Near You?

Five minutes before "going under" for an op last year I learned that statistically every anaesthetist is sued once in seven years. I must learn easier research methods. Anyway, I was watching a piece on ABC's Catalyst tonight about a machine that would make the doctors aware if a patient woke on the table. This is the kind of person, I guess, that after the initial trauma subsided would probably be interested in talking to a lawyer.

It turned me back to my grandmother's tonsilectomy, which was back in the days when the procedure was carried out with scissors and catching-net and without anaesthetic. Nanna simply slipped out of her body and floated up to the roof, from where she watched the job being done. Then she slipped back in. It is the only "psychic" experience she ever mentioned occurring to her.

No drugs, no pain. Surely if such a technigque was developed it might change the face of modern medicinal method. I might even stop surgeons playing Kate Bush CDs while they're carving you up.

No comments: